OTTAWA - Canada has threatened "retaliatory measures" against the United States move changing the so-called country of origin labeling that would track beef and hogs through the meat processing and distribution systems, stating that it is discriminatory, a view shared by the World Trade Organisation. On Thursday, the United States Department of Agriculture issued a final modification to its ...
NEW YORK - Aiming to tackle recent high-profile breaches, popular micro-blogging site Twitter is introducing an optional two-step login for users to beef up security. The new system would try to ensure "it's really you" when a user signs in to Twitter, which transmits some 400 million messages a day. The move follows recent attacks into the twitter accounts of news organisations' such as ...
DUBLIN/ WASHINGTON Ireland-based biotechnology firm Elan Thursday rejected Royalty Pharma's increased $6.4 billion takeover bid, shortly after the U.S. firm cut the acceptance bar for its latest offer to 50 percent plus one share. Royalty raised its hostile cash bid to $12.50 per share on Monday, from $11.25 previously, but made the new offer conditional on Elan shareholders rejecting, at a ...
MUMBAI - Shares of Wockhardt, one of the leading Indian pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, witnessed a sharp fall of 20% to Rs. 1,315 ($23.61) on the Bombay Stock Exchange(BSE) on Thursday after the US FDA published an import alert on one of its three manufacturing facilities near Aurangabad. The import alert, 'detention without physical examination of drugs from firms which have ...
MELBOURNE - Ford Motor Company Wednesday announced plans of closing its local manufacturing operations in Broadmeadows and Geelong in October 2016 thereby forcing 1,200 people out of work. Spelling the end of the iconic Ford Falcon in the country, Ford Australia president Bob Graziano announced that the carmaker would shut its Victorian facilities in October 2016, bringing an end to nearly ...
Sam Weisman's remake of "The Out-of-Towners" is a somewhat predictable, but nevertheless entertaining ode to anyone from a smaller town who has ever had trouble in a big city. Steve Martin and Goldie Hawn (taking over the roles played in the 1970 original by Jack Lemmon and Sandy Dennis) star as Henry and Nancy Clark, a married couple from Ohio whose children have recently grown up and moved away, ... ...
LONDON - In a critique of the United Kingdom's austerity programme, the International Monetary Fund Wednesday urged the Europe's third largest economy to rebalance the policy to make the transition to a high-investment and more export-oriented economy. "The UK could boost growth by bringing forward measures already included in its fiscal plan, such as spending on infrastructure and job ...
Called transforming growth factor beta, or TGF-?, the protein interacts with p53, a well-known tumor suppressor gene disabled in many cancers. In cells which have just begun to transform into cancer, the TGF-? protein inhibits apoptosis, or programmed cell death, which the p53 protein helps regulate. Free of the control of p53, the precancerous cells continue down the road to becoming ...
Makers Quarter, south of City College, might include this 400-foot-high-residential tower, mid- and low-rise offices and retail and cultural space surrounding the planned East Village Green ...
The new addition is just one of the many creative ways Otay Ranch Town Center has come up with to keep traffic coming to the mall during a difficult time for the retail ...
San Diego's downtown-bayfront shuttle, which debuted last year, is returning for the summer season, beginning on Friday, in time for the Memorial Day ...
Making the news
We must define the nature and scope of this struggle, or else it will define us. Neither I, nor any President can promise the total defeat of terror. What we must do is dismantle networks that pose a direct danger.
The U.S. president was speaking on his administration's counter terrorism policy.
THE WESTIN, LOS ANGELES AIRPORT
This substantial hotel is easily accessed on Century Boulevarde. Driving in to the entrance area, the hotel main lobby greets ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
The Boy Scouts of America National Council has resolved to accept gay members. Do you agree with this policy?
Mexico StarMexico Star – Independent Online News Service
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The Mexico Star is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Mexican news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, Mexican news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local Mexico news, the weather forecast for Mexico you'll find it all in the Mexico Star.
From Tijuana to Mexico City, the Mexico Star should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
Second-half substitute Luan struck an injury-time equaliser to earn Atletico Mineiro a 2-2 draw against Tijuana in their Copa Libertadores quarterfinal first leg.
Colombian striker Duvier Riascos opened the scoring for the Mexican club at the Estadio Caliente after a slick one-two with compatriot Dayro Moreno in the 13th minute Thursday, reports Xinhua.
The home side then made it 2-0 early in the second half when Moreno's shot was saved by goalkeeper Victor only for Fidel Martinez to knock in the rebound.
Atletico suffered a blow when Brazil international midfielder Bernard failed to reappear in the second half due to a thigh injury.
But Diego Tardelli reduced the deficit for the visitors when he struck from a Ronaldinho corner kick before Bernard's replacement Luan slotted home in the 92nd minute after Tardelli's deft through ball.
"It is a long way to travel here and it's not easy playing on this synthetic surface but we managed to get a very important result," Ronaldinho said after the match.
The return fixture will be played at Atletico's Independencia stadium in Belo Horizonte May 29.
In Thursday's other quarterfinal, Newell's Old Boys held Argentine rivals Boca Juniors to a 0-0 draw at the Bombonera in Buenos Aires.
- Mexican woman gets first transplant of ovaries in Latin America
- Mexico Peso Declines Most Among Major Currencies on Fed Concern
- Obesity weighs down on top soda guzzler Mexico
- Mexico wants to attract US retirees
- Ancient cave paintings found in northeastern Mexico
- Drone strikes are legal and extend to US citizens as well, says Obama
- Two civilians among 13 dead in Pakistan car bomb
- Kerry holds talks with Israeli and Palestinian officials
- Meeting of Syrian opposition leaders begins in Istanbul
- Private firms may travel to lunar surface NASA report
- Twitter beefs up security with two-step login
- TV Broadcasters Launch Aereokiller Lawsuit in Washington
- Television wins new respect from movie elite at Cannes festival
- UPDATE 1-News Corps publishing business to initiate stock buyback
- CANADA STOCKS-TSX may open lower on fears of less Fed stimulus
- First look of D-Day movie unveiled in Mumbai
- Psys look-alike dupes stars at Cannes
- No hatred between Mayers former girlfriends
- George Michael didnt try to commit suicide by throwing himself from car says pal
- Prince Harry names himself ginger queen
- Heart healthy lifestyle may help protect kidney patients from dying prematurely
- Drug target to boost bodys natural flu killer identified
- Boys stem cells successfully treat cerebral palsy
- Turning off technology hours before bedtime promotes sound sleep
- Breast cancer cells release protective proteins that suppress tumour growth
- Foreign policy impotence gripping U.S.
- WOLF Tyranny in our time
- PAUL Blocking the pathway to a national ID
- EDITORIAL Reids court-packing scheme
- LAMBRO Dodging job talk
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Mexico Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Atletico Mineiro hold Tijuana to 2-2 draw
- Mexican woman gets first transplant of ovaries in Latin America
- EMERGING MARKETS-Latam FX drops as data adds to fear of Fed ...
- Fitch Affirms Digicels Ratings Outlook Stable
- EMERGING MARKETS-Brazil stocks flat as OGX offsets Vale